Wednesday, August 18, 2010

"You can be my punk rock princess..."

I know. I keep posting these photos of things you probably don't care about but I have to share this.

I'm a big music person. More than that I'm a big concert person. I don't go to nearly enough concerts (in my opinion) and I'm always re-discovering music I love through seeing it live. While chatting with Dave about music, I was trying to explain the Something Corporate and Jack's Mannequin correlation (how they have the same lead singer) and on the wikipedia page i noticed that SOMETHING CORPORATE IS DOING A REUNION TOUR. And they were coming here. "Self," I told myself, "You are so there." So Champ and I got tickets (stub hub for the win) and off we went.

If you've never been to the Masquerade in Atlanta, I recommend making a pilgrimage. It's seedy and underground but at the same time wildly well known. The upper floor (Heaven as they call it) is one of my fave concert venues. Yes it's always too hot, yes the floor has caved in at least once, but man oh man it's awesome.

Woke up in car

if you're not a Something Corporate fan, you should be. Every song is so well done, musically and lyrically. He opened with "Woke up in a Car" which was on the first mix tape I made Champ. There's a line "these flights connect through arizona, but I think I'll stay stuck," which applied to us when we first started dating. (It's a longer story, but it does involve a job offer in Arizona and a layover in Atlanta long enough to see him.)

Purple lights

Andrew is part of the genius behind it, and yes. That's a piano he's playing. He played it through most of the show. He told a great story about having pulled his piano outside the tour bus when they were doing a tour in Atlanta years ago and they'd realized they were going to have to write their new album on the road and how he'd started toying with a song and suddenly the sky just opened up on him. Hence why "Paint Me Blue" has the like "Atlanta started raining on me," which is my favorite song by them.

yellow light

crowd love from the top of the piano

It also served as something to stand on when things got really rocking. I also loved that when he was really rocking out and the crowd was yelling and screaming he was just banging his foot on the keys. I swear it sounded like he knew what he was doing and not just making noise

IMG_5986

On the piano

Touching the ceiling

At the end of the last song he definitely jumped up on the piano again. and opted to swing from the rafters (don't you love this venue yet?)

Jump at the end

To start the encore Andrew came out alone and talked a bunch about how happy he was to be there, how blessed he felt to be able to tour like this with a band that meant so much to him over the years. He was really genuine in his love for his fans which just...gah it melts your heart.

Andrew

IMG_6000

He started the encore with "Constantine" which he says he gets a lot of crap for not playing it live, but it's hard to get motivated to play it because although he likes the song it's a 9 minute song and it's just so damn long. Still...it was great to hear it.

IMG_6001

As you sleep

Next was "As You Sleep", which is another one of my favorites, and it was just fantastic.

He closed the show with Punk Rock Princess, which had everyone jumping up and down and rushing the stage (which meant I got pitched forward about 30 feet) and then we were jumping so hard and packed in so tight I wasn't sure if i was jumping or the floor was just pitching me up in the air (that wood plank floor moves with the crowd). It was awesome.

0 comments:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Enterprise Project Management