Sunday, August 29, 2010

Row, row, row your boat

I've been completely caught up in something again. Something I haven't done since I was 18.



That's me on the far right with my crew team in college. I rowed through the fall, but dropped in the spring when it came down to passing classes and rowing. Passing classes won out.

I've talked about joining the Atlanta Rowing Club since I graduated from college. But it's always been expensive or something or another. No good reason. Work shifts gave me an excuse to not do a lot of things I love.

This summer I finally signed up for the "Learn to Row" class, because although I knew what I was doing I was out of practice and I didn't know how to scull (two oars) which I wanted to learn. I got wait-listed until April, but I made plans to run a half marathon in the fall/winter and then I'd be ready for the class. To my surprise though I got into the August class by the skin of my teeth.

For the past few weeks I've been going to practice 3 days a week (Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday). It's not much but already I see a difference in my body. I'm hungry more often, I sleep better, I feel better.

But none of that compares to being on the water. Oh I do really love it so. I've been out in doubles (sculling with two people) and starting Wednesday we were out in the eight again. My old friend the eight. (see my eight team up there in the photo). I've missed it so much, but it just comes back the moment you start again.

I'm looking into joining another team after the class is over. Not competing yet, but working with a coach and working on my style. I'm hoping to get better and eventually compete if I still want to.

The half marathon isn't off the table yet. I'm worried about muscle development and such (it's all different muscles) but I'm still considering it. We'll see. Maybe I can use rowing as cross training.

0 comments:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Enterprise Project Management