Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A day in the life

After reading this post on Design for Mankind about a day in the life of artist Kris Atomic, my partner in blogging Meaghan and I decided to do our own "day in the life" type posts.

Mine is sans pictures, but I tried to keep it amusing. So here you are, a day in the life of me. Enjoy ;)

6:45am – the alarm went off and I jerked awake reading it as 7:45am which meant I had 15 minutes before when I like to leave the house for work. I interrogated a half asleep champ about his alarm and then realized that it was my alarm going off for the first time not 12 snoozes after the fact. Relieved I went back to sleep.

7:37am – finally drug self out of bed with 23 minutes to get ready and absolutely no motivation to rush. Whatever.

7:40ish – half asleep in the shower and bit of the ceiling popcorn cover or whatever fall on me which result in me yelping because I think things are crawling on me and this really should be some sort of sign for how my day is going to go.

8:19am – finally leaving for work, getting every freaking redlight, but at least traffic isn’t terrible.

8:45am – I should have known. Of course it kinda maybe looks like rain and I’m about fifteen minutes late and there’s nowhere to park in the deck. Drive around in circles a few times hoping to get lucky and then give up and park 8 airplane hangar bays away from my desk. And it’s windy and I forgot a coat.

8:59 am – get to my desk, boot up computer and I have software updates. Well there goes my first half hour of the morning. Not that it really matters. I catch up on reading scenes that finished up after I went to bed on EC and Epi while I wait on the updates. I killed off one of my characters on Epi the other day and I was eager to see what sort of blow back might ensue with other characters. Of course they didn’t disappoint.

10:00am – guess the day starts. Going through the to-do list and getting ready for my meeting at 11. blah.

10:53am – I really hate those last few minutes before a meeting is supposed to start. I can’t really work on anything but then again I feel lazy sitting around waiting. What’s worse is I’m starved and I’ve already gotten two invitations for lunch at 11, which is when the meeting starts.

11:00 – Meeting that solved nothing.

11:30 – finally eating something which amounted to a coke and Doritos. Oh well. Looking over time updates and working on schedule for upcoming trip to Disney during my “Lunch break” Nat got back from work and messaged me and we’re re-hashing updates and what happened last night on wrestling (I know. I’m really awesome)

12:15 – back at it again. Sorta. Emailing out excel spreadsheet of schedule I made and waiting for backlash from family accusing me of being a giant nerd.

12:30 – drug out to lunch with a co worker. Normally I wouldn’t go b/c I already ate Doritos, but he wanted to go and my coworkers in my group rarely want to go out (I usually go with others from the company but not my group).

1:30 – back to the desk to emails that annoy me, but my boss’ inbox is full so I’m not as worried. Just tired of being annoyed by people.

1:40 – oh fun. The coworker who wandered off on vacation to south Africa and left me in charge of one of his projects? There’s a small crisis and I can’t do anything about it b/c he didn’t give me any information. FUN.

2:00pm – where is bossman? We’re supposed to have a meeting.

2:15pm – well he’s gone so I’m assuming it’s cancelled. I hate when he does that.

2:18pm – bossman wandered back and I asked him about the meeting. He said we’ll reschedule which isn’t a big deal. I tried to be frustrated but then he flashed me a smile and seemed in a good mood and thus I can’t stay mad at him. That’s even more frustrating.

2:59pm – co-worker’s crisis averted. Look at me go. Count today as a win.

3:03pm – lies about crisis being averted. Take away win status.

3:53 pm – another coworker comes into my cube to discuss the certification exam we’re both taking soon. Which is another reminder that I don’t want to take it. I emailed the crisis and said…sorry. There wasn’t much I could do.

5:37 – shutting down and going home.

6:45 – what in the world? First I forget until I walked out of my cube that my car is parked 8 airplane hangars away and that I have to walk that far. I ran into the manager who hired me (not bossman) who I think dyed his hair recently to look younger and had an awkward conversation, it’s cold outside and I jogged in dress shoes to catch up with a friend who’s in a hurry and doesn’t want to walk together. As I pass him the rain starts and then I’m half jogging in dress shoes with my laptop bag so I don’t get soaked.

Even better, there’s crazy traffic on the connector home (I usually go against traffic) and it takes forever to get home. At least the Office is on and Champ is home when I get home.

7:00pm – after threatening to leave me behind because I’m distracted, Champ and I head out to trivia.

7:30pm – trivia!! Dan, Gina, Jacki and David are there. The girls re-hash Twilight updates, make weekend plans and the boys talk work and a friend’s bachelor party that’s this weekend. Jacki and I decide that we’re going to see Nightmare on Elm Street on Saturday night. Trivia was harder than normal tonight, complete with questions that seemed elusive and complicated. We almost placed, but Champ wrote “Willy Wonka” instead of “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” for one of the last answers and we didn’t get credit. Oh well.

9:35pm – in the car on the way home. Champ and I discuss my decision to see Nightmare, which he blames on wanting to see Thomas Dekker and Kyle Gallner, which is true, but I’m also trying to get more into horror flicks. I love the stories but can’t get over being scared.

10:25 – finally setting in. Champ’s playing Kingdom Hearts II (what a great game) and I’m working on tags for the RP scene I’m working on. I’ve got three scenes to start. Including one with a vampire and a demon, a goofy phone call and what might amount to a major apology. Either way it’s a chance to talk to friends who are online this evening.

12:20am – Champ’s finishing up his game and I’m getting wrapped up on scenes so it’s about time for bed. Which is good because sleep is going to feel soo good tonight.

0 comments:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Enterprise Project Management