Sunday, December 18, 2011

Album Review: Self-Titled from Young Statues

The full length, self-titled release from Philadelphia based group, Young Statues has been out for a bit but I finally got my hands on it. I really enjoyed their set when I saw them live in October and really did want access to more of their music, but it wasn't until just recently that I was able to order it online.

The album has a great sound, sort of a mellow feel overall. I can't help but wonder if it would have been part of The O.C. soundtrack if that show was still on the air. It definitely has that feel to it. Maybe it's the similarity to Death Cab for Cutie in front man Carmen's voice. Or maybe it's that the songs seem to have a similar beat to the same indie rock back. Either way, I'm voting for this album to be the cornerstone for the show if it ever makes a come back (If they bring back Arrested Development they can bring back The O.C. right?).

Maybe though it's just the beachy feel from tunes ilk "Half Light' which seems to be more named for the feel it creates than the lyrics (despite the title being mentioned in the lyrics). It sounds like the beach in half light, somewhere towards the end of the day or just as dawn breaks.

The same goes for "Athens" which actually sounds like Athens, GA (where I've been a couple of times) more than anything else. Turns out it was the first song recorded there and is named for the same reason, because it just feels like the city. That's what it is about the album that really jumps out at me, more than the lyrics or the guitar lines or drum beats, the feel of it as a whole.

It's a great album to put in and just let play while getting work done or just relaxing. It has that mellowing feel like I said and has become one of my favorites for at work to alleviate the stress of the day.

You can pick up a copy here and follow Young Statues on twitter.

0 comments:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Enterprise Project Management