Thursday, September 15, 2011

Being a Grown Up

Why did I agree to this again?

I was on twitter a couple weeks ago and Travis, my favorite twitter person and of Ghost Thrower fame, posted the simple: "When did you begin to confuse stress with accomplishment?" (Go follow him he tosses out jewels like this all the time. And he's adorable.)

I was all huffed up and then I went...shit. He's right. When did we do that? When did we decide that the more stressed out we were the more successful we were? Why does successful mean our jobs stress us out out to the point of being sick? Of working twenty-four hours a day seven days a week?

I love technology, I really do. I love my IPhone and the constant access it gives me to my email, my online friends, etc. But at the same time, the work blackberry they gave me means my work has free reign to contact me whenever they want. That said I'm not terribly the best at having it with me at all times on the weekend or evenings and I've let it die before and not bothered to recharge it. (My own little rebellion when I know full well my personal cell is listed in our directory.)

And that blackberry? It's considered an accomplishment to be given it. It's supposed to be something that only those at a certain rank are given. Congrats on your promotion here's the tether to work.

I've said more than once that I wish I was had less to contribute to the world than being rather smart. That if all anyone expected of me (and that I'd be satisfied) with doing is working at Starbucks. I think I'd be happier. Those people seem happier.

0 comments:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Enterprise Project Management