Friday, March 16, 2012

Album Review - "Daydream" By The Endless Summer


I have beyond highly anticipated the new release from The Endless Summer, Daydream. I think I've been looking forward to it since they dropped the first single "Satellites", which I fell in love with right away. There's just something about Nick's voice that hooks you the first time you hear the chorus. I think of it like when you first hear the chorus on "Thunder" or "Hero/Heroine" by Boys Like Girls. Actually Nick reminds me a lot of Martin, and I do mean that as a compliment.

"Satellites" is easily the clincher of the EP, but it hardly ends there. Each song has its own flair, something that will remind you of your favorite pop punk (or pop rock, what are we calling this genre now? My iTunes lists it as 'alternative'...right no) artist, but it doesn't sound like everything else. "Fly With Me" has a back beat that has you tapping your foot, moving with the music as it rises and falls and you actually get caught up in the way it slows down then speeds up again.

"If You Wanted" might be my favorite. It comes across as a little raw, but to me it's like if Taylor Swift didn't suck, her music would sound like this. Obviously Nick can outsing her on her own songs, so it's not really a surprise that The Endless Summer would be a better version.

The whole EP is a heartfelt sort of ride, music for driving with the windows down at night, which to me, is special for music that really gets to your heart. I lacked a social life in high school and used to get on the roads that left the little town I lived in and just drive as far as I felt safe before turning around. That's what I think of when I say that. Trying desperately to get away from it all with the windows down and warm air filing the little car, listening to music that could be felt as much as listened to. I wish I had this EP for those nights because it would have been perfect.

Pick up your copy on iTunes or Amazon, Rhapsody or Spotify or wherever else you get your music from. If you're itching for a hardcopy, pick up at their webstore and for a limited time apparently Nick is including a treat for all orders of an EP or a shirt. Sounds like a sweet deal to me.

0 comments:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Enterprise Project Management